1. Prior to the first day of school, see if the school will allow a walk though of an expected school day and meet the new teacher(s).
2. Take pictures as you go to make it into a social story booklet if needed.
3. Older kids may benefit from receiving/choosing their class schedule at this time.
4. A map of the school may also help the older kids get around in a new place easier and with a lot less stress.
5. If your child will be riding the school bus for the first time, a trip to the bus garage may be in order. They may be able to get on the bus and possibly meet their bus driver. It would also be a good idea to practice school bus safety ahead of time. You can usually find the school bus rules in the school handbook.
6. If there is something you feel could assist your child in having a successful start to the new school year, don't be afraid to ask your child's school to accomodate you. Many times they will be more than happy to help.
For help with IEPs:
Wrightslaw's highly recommended IEP Kit is on sale through the month of August for only $22.46. Everything you need to manage the IEP process in one nifty kit!